Battle Relic
: Third Reich weaponry left behind in previously occupied countries in the European Theatre of Operations, World War Two.
Introduction:  After World War Two had ended in Europe on May 8th 1945, its former battlefields were littered with the weaponry that had been too heavy for the German soldiers to carry back into the Fatherland during their retreat.
Often, German tanks, trucks and guns had been salvaged for their scrap metal value.
In many cases however, they remained intact and were used by local governments as landmarks in local communities.
Often well preserved, the weapons of destruction even today still serve as monuments reminding us of the senselessness of war.
This study of several battle relics shows Third Reich weaponry to be found 'in the wild' in Europe today.
It is not a complete list but rather a work in progress.
We advise our viewers to keep monitoring this page for more featured battle relics.
Of course, any input or suggestions of Third Reich weaponry left behind publicly in the European Theatre of Operations is welcome.

  
Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-A (15-1)
Location:
Breda, The Netherlands
Item
Description: Third Reich PzKpfw. V ("PanzerKampfwagen"; Armored Fighting Vehicle), "Panther", Ausf. ("Ausführung"; Variety) D taken out of action by the Polish 1st Armored Division on the 29th of October 1944 when this unit liberated the Dutch city of Breda. The tank was donated to the people of Breda and therefore it is even today known locally as "The Polish Tank".
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

             

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-B (15-2)
Location:
Zandoerle, Municipality of Veldhoven, The Netherlands
Item
Description: German anti tank canon, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone 40, 75 millimeter caliber. The third photograph was taken during a local folklore event when the canon was used as a very suitable climbing object for the younger townspeople.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

          

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-C (15-3)
Location:
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Item
Description: German 5 cm PAK (Panzer Abwehr Kanone; Anti Tank Canon) 38. This Battle Relic sits on the Waal river bank, a bit neglected, overlooking the Nijmegen road bridge, captured by the Allies in September 1944 at a high casualty rate. One of the tires of this canon is still intact and comes from the German Continental Tire factory.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-D (15-4)
Location:
Houffalize, Belgium
Item
Description: Third Reich PzKpfw. V ("PanzerKampfwagen"; Armored Fighting Vehicle), "Panther", Ausf. G. This tank belonged to the German 116th Armored 'Windhund' (Whippet) Division. This tank could do with a new paintjob. We discovered that  the front end machine gun could still be moved.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                 
 

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-E (15-5)
Location:
La Gleize, Belgium
Item
Description: Tiger II or "Königstiger" (King Tiger). This tank is "parked" in front of the Historical Museum December 1944 in La Gleize. What strikes anyone examining this piece of equipment up close, is the sheer size of it.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-F (15-6)
Location:
Valkenburg, The Netherlands
Item
Description:  German anti tank canon, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone 40, 75 millimeter caliber. This German canon is placed in a beautiful park surrounding the Municipal Hall of Valkenburg in the Dutch Province of Limburg.
A sign tells the story that this canon was destroyed by elements of the US Army's 30th "Old Hickory" Division on September 17th 1944 when the liberated Valkenburg. The barrel and armor plate still show battle scars.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

             
      

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-G (15-7)
Location:
Deventer, The Netherlands
Item
Description: Third Reich 3,7 centimeter anti tank canon, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone 36. This canon is located in a small park under the Northern ramp of the traffic bridge across the IJssel river leading into the town of Deventer. It was this bridge where in 1976 the movie A Bridge Too Far was filmed. Various other locations in Deventer were used for scenes which took place in Arnhem, Eindhoven and Leopoldsburg.
This canon is painted with the patches of various units of the British Second Army and the names of the locations where they fought in Europe.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-H (15-8)
Location:
Celes, Belgium
Item
Description: German Panther Type "G" tank, also known to the Germans as Panzer V or by its ordnance inventory designation Sd.Kfz. 171. This tank was armed with a 75 millimeter main gun and two MG34 7.92 millimeter machineguns. This particular tank belonged to the 2. (second) Panzer Division of the German regular army (Heer) and spearheaded the advance of Kampfgruppe (battle group) Cochenhausen during the Ardennes Offensive; or "Von Rundstedt Offensive" to the Belgians. It ran on a mine in the early morning of December 24th, 1945 disabling it. Since the war it has been a tourist attraction for the nearby café named "Le Tank".
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   


 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-I (15-9)
Location:
Groesbeek, The Netherlands
Item
Description: German anti tank canon, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone 40, 75 millimeter caliber. This particular canon can be seen on the grounds of the Liberation Museum in Groesbeek, The Netherlands. However, it is accessible to the public from the main Wylerbaan road and one does not have to pay an entrance fee to visit this artillery piece or the British M4 Sherman tank named "Robin Hood" on the same lawn.
The canon has these texts painted on the armor plate (translated from the Dutch language):
"This artillery wreaked havoc in Nijmegen from September 1944 to February 1945. Silenced on the 8th of February 1945 by SGT. Mick Savage, CPL L.S. Maso, CPL A. Britton, RCA (Royal Canadian Artillery)"
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   


 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-J (15-10)
Location:
Susteren, The Netherlands
Item
Description: 88 millimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone (PAK) antitank canon, type 43/41.
This canon, which is placed on a brick pedestal on Raadhuisplein (Town Hall Square) of Susteren is part of a monument reminding of the town being in the front line between September 1944 and January 1945. The villagers of Susteren had all been evacuated to the nearby town of Posterholt. On January 17th 1945 the town was liberated by the British. In 2000 this canon was restored with the help of the local Kiwanis Club and the construction company of Hans Wagter. Note rubber tires from the German city of Fulda and a bicycle lock that someone fixed to the armored shield of the canon.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-K (15-11)
Location:
Troisvierges, Luxembourg
Item
Description: 88 millimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone (Anti Tank Gun) PAK 43. This canon is located along Highway CR337 and stands next to a monument dedicated to the liberation of Troisvierges by the US 6th Armored Division on January 23, 1945.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-L (15-12)
Location:
Boulaide, Luxemburg
Item
Description: 155 millimeter Schwere Haubitze (Heavy Howitzer). This canon, and the 88 millimeter canon, featured in our sub file 15-M, are located on a wooded hilltop, locally known as "Hochfels", outside the village of Boulaide. Relatively new rustic wooden signs explain the characteristics of the gun but the "exhibit" itself is in a deplorable state. The solid rubber tires are missing and the wet forest takes its toll in the shape of corrosion. 
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-M (15-13)
Location:
Boulaide, Luxemburg
Item
Description: 88 millimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone, placed close to the Heavy Field Howitzer featured in sub file 15-L. When we visited this gun in May 2011, some clothes from the users of the nearby log cabin in the woods, lay strewn on the guns pedestal. 
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-N (15-14)
Location:
Cherain, Belgium
Item
Description: FH 18 Schwere Haubitze (Heavy Howitzer), This 15 centimeter canon sits in a small park in between three streets leading through the small village of Cherain. In front of the canon is a small stone marker reminding of the 100th anniversary of Belgium's independence in 1930. This gun has extensive battle dame caused by shrapnel.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub Files No.: 15-O and 15-O Bis (15-15.1 and 15-15.2)
Location:
Burhinne, Belgium
Item
Description: Two German 75 millimeter anti tank canons, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone 40,  flank the World War One memorial monument in Burhinne's town square.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-P (15-16)
Location:
Clerveaux, Luxemburg
Item
Description: An impressive PAK 43 88 millimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone (88 millimeter Anti Tank Gun) welcomes visitors entering the Clerveaux Museum of the Ardennes Battle together with an M4A3 Sherman tank of the 9th Armored Division, next to it. The museum is located in an old castle on a hilltop. This canon could also do with some maintenance.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-Q (15-17)
Location:
Grandmenil, Belgium
Item
Description: Tank, Panther Type "G". This tank belonged to the 12 SS "Hitler Jugend" (Hitler Youth) Panzer Division was left behind after the battle and sits on a cross roads in Grandmenil today. Perhaps the broken right track has caused its abandonment.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-R (15-18)
Location:
Heinerscheid, Luxembourg
Item
Description: 88 millimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone (88 millimeter Anti Tank Gun). This canon is placed in a small memorial park, next to a US M2A1 Howitzer. The park is dedicated to the US 6th Armored Division who liberated Heinerscheid on January 28th, 1945.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-S (15-19)
Location:
Manhay, Belgium
Item
Description: Barrel of an 88 millimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone (88 millimeter Anti Tank Gun). This barrel was discovered during construction work in the Manhay area in 1996.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-T (15-20)
Location:
Meyerode, Luxemburg
Item
Description: Third Reich 7,5 centimeter Panzer Abwehr Kanone PAK 40 in front of the local school.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                   

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-U (15-21)
Location:
Useldange, Luxembourg
Item
Description: sK18, Schwere Kanone (Heavy Canon), 10,5 centimeter canon.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-V (15-22)
Location:
Wiltz, Luxembourg
Item
Description:  Two German artillery pieces flank a memorial dedicated to the musicians of the US 28th Division Band who helped defending the Luxembourg town of Wiltz on December 18th, 1944. Below is an 8,8 centimeter PAK 43 anti tank gun.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

                   

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-W (15-23)
Location:
Wiltz, Luxembourg
Item
Description:  The other gun is an LeFH18/40 "Leichte Feldhaubitze" (light field howitzer). Its caliber is 10,5 centimeter.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-X (15-24)
Location:
Dinant, Belgium (Not open to the public outside opening hours).
Item
Description:  Inside an obscure passage in the citadel of Dinant (birth place of Adolphe Sax; inventor of the saxophone) this German 20 millimeter(.79 inch) FLAK 38 (Flugabwehrkanone; anti-aircraft gun) piece overlooks the West bank of the Meuse river. It typically had a crew of 7 and used 20 round magazines.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                      

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-Y (15-25)
Location:
Camp Elsenborn, Belgium (Not open to the public without previous appointment).
Item
Description:  German anti tank gun, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone 40, 7,5 centimeter caliber. This particular artillery piece can be seen on the grounds of the Camp Elsenborn military facility of the Belgian Army. It sits in front of a very impressing museum about the history of the museum, dating back to the 19th century when this part of Belgium was German territory; annexed due to the Treaty of Versailles after World War 1. Situated inside a military facility, this Battle Relic is not actually open to the general public, but due to the welcome reception we received during our visit, we wish to add it to this publication.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                      

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-Z (15-26)
Location:
Beek (Limburg), The Netherlands (Not open to the public outside opening hours).
Item
Description: This 7,5 centimeter tank gun, type Panzer Abwehr Kanone, 40 is located in the parking area of the brand new EyeWitness Museum, in Beek in the Dutch province of Limburg. This excellent museum opened May 3rd 2013 and features over 140 life sized mannequins explaining the major events of World War Two in very realistic dioramas. In compliance with Dutch firearms legislation, this canon's barrel was pierced and cut open above the breech so it can't be used for firing anymore. We found the elevation and windage adjustment wheels still in working order. Again, an artillery piece on property with limited public access, but one in almost mint condition.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-AA (15-27)
Location:
Billy-Berclau, departement Pas-de-Calais, Nord-Pas-de-Calais region, arrondissement of Bhétune (France), GPS location: 50°31'0"N, 2°52'0"E.

Item Description: In the small French town of Billy-Berclau we found this German 7,5 centimeter PAK 40 anti-tank gun. It is placed within the gates of the local cemetery in front of seven British Commonwealth War Graves. Five of these soldiers gave their lives as members of the Allied expeditionary force which tried to stop the German invasion of May 1940, and three died during the liberation of the region in September 1944. One soldier, who was Killed in Action on the 25th of May 1940, was never identified and rests in the cemetery as "A Soldier of the 1939-1945 War". The artillery piece itself was captured on September 2nd 1944 by four members of the French Forces of the Interior (FFI) named Charles Drelon, Philippe Sai, Armand Drelon and René Frémaux.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-BB (15-28)
Location:
Braine-l'Alleu, near Waterloo, Province of Waals-Brabant, Belgium,
GPS location: 50°41'11.05"N, 4°22'16.58"E.

Item Description: During a trip to the 1815 combat scenes of the Battle of Waterloo, we came across this Third Reich LeFH18 (Leichte Felt Haubitze 18, or light field howitzer). This canon is placed in the middle of a car park in Braine-l'Alleu and is part of a World War I and II memorial honoring the sons of this down who died in these wars.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-CC (15-29)
Location:
Le Dézert, Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 49°20'40.98"N, 1°16'56.92"E.

Item Description:  This PanzerAbwehrKanone (PAK) 40 is located right in front of the town hall of Le Dézert. When we photographed this artillery piece in late May, the city just had it painted to be spick and span for the 70th commemoration of D-Day in 2014.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-DD (15-30)
Location:
La Madeleine (Utah Beach), Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 49°41'451.96"N, 1°17'51.41"E.

Item Description: In the dunes of La Madeleine behind Utah Beach this 5 centimeter KampfwagenKanone 39 (KwK 39), or ‘fighting vehicle canon’ is still aimed at the sea from its concrete emplacement on top of the former German Widerstandsnest (Wn) No. 5.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-EE (15-31)
Location:
Benouville, Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 49°24'20.99"N, 0°27'37.98"E.

Item Description: 5cm KwK 39 canon in concrete gun pit next to "Pegasus Bridge" in Bénouville. The Bridge was one of the D-Day objectives of the British 6th Airborne Division and was captured in the early morning hours of June 6th 1944 by glider troops of the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Regiment. The gun has never been removed after the war. Here is a photograph of British tourists playing with the gun in 1947.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-FF (15-32)
Location:
Habloville, Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 48°78'50.12"N, 0°.16'94.59"E.
Item Description: In the small village of Habloville a 10.5 centimeter Leichte FeldHaubitze (LeFH) or ‘light field howitzer’ is placed next to the community’s war memorial which is adorned by a rooster; the French national symbol.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-GG (15-33)
Location:
Vimoutiers, Departement Orne, Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 48°92'36.52"N, 0°21'49.08"E.

Item Description: This Tiger I of the "E" type belonged to the 503rd SS Panzer Abteilung. Its crew managed to drive this Panzer out of the ‘Falaise Pocket’ only to get stranded with an empty fuel tank near Vimoutiers. The tank bears the scars of an attempt to scrap it, but at a very late moment, the city bought the tank and it is now on display in a park-like rest area along the D-979 highway.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-HH (15-34)
Location:
Courseulles-sur-Mer, Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 49°33'57.08"N, 0°45'82.69"E.

Item Description:  This 5cm KwK 39 canon is all that is left of the German Widerstandsnest (Resistance Nest, or infantry strongpoint) Wn 29 at Courseulles-sur-Mer behind Juno Beach in the Canadian sector of the Normandy landings of June 1944. This canon is heavily damaged by artillery fire.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-II (15-35)
Location:
Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer, Basse-Normandie, France
GPS location: 49°33'23.04"N, 0°39'40.93"E.

Item Description:  Part of Widerstandsnest 27 in Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer, this 5 centimeter KwK 39 gun is still placed in its "Haube" concrete casemate. The gun still shows the damage from the Canadian AVRE tank that took it out of action. This artillery piece has so many post-war coats of paint on it, that we had to add extra magnets to the famous magnetic Battle Detective sticker to attach it on the gun. Click here for a photo of the gun shortly after its capture in June 1944.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-JJ (15-36)
Location:
Grounds of the Arnhem War Museum 40-45 on No. 780 Kemperbergerweg, Arnhem, Province of Gelderland, The Netherlands (Artillery piece accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 52°01'37.05"N, 5°52'19.05"E.

Item Description:  We have been debating intensely whether or not to include this PanzerAbwehrKanone (PAK) 40 in our list of Third Reich artillery in the European Theater of Operations with public access. This anti tank guns sits within the grounds of the Arnhem War Museum 40-45 on No. 780 Kemperbergerweg outside of Arnhem. When we visited the museum on 30NOV2013, the canon was placed behind a fence and the owners warned us of a vicious dog guarding its perimeter. Because of the facts that we were able to carefully attach a magnetic Battledetective.com sticker on one of its wheels and that the gun can be seen from the nearby road (and on Google StreetView) we did add the gun here.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-KK (15-37)
Location:
Grounds of the Deelen Air Base Museum on No. 10 Hoenderloseweg, Arnhem, Province of Gelderland, the Netherlands (Artillery piece accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 52°3'40.756''N, 5°53' 52.342''E.
Item
Description:  Third Reich 75mm anti aircraft canon; captured in 1940 from the French (originally a Schneider 75mm gun) which defended the Arnhem road bridge during the Battle of Arnhem in September 1944. After the battle a German demolition team (‘Sprengkommando’) blew the gun’s breech. In 1996 it was dug up and put on display on the lawn in front of the Deelen Air Base Museum near Arnhem. This gun was the #5 piece in a Nazi labor unit (RAD, or ‘Reichs Arbeits Dienst’) battery which designated it "Emil" after the 5th letter in their spelling alphabet.
Although it is a captured foreign weapon (‘Beutewaffe’) and placed in a museum lawn - albeit close to the roadway; without a fence - we decided to feature this artillery piece here, because of it significance in the Battle of Arnhem and the elaborate explanation museum staff gave us when we visited Deelen on August 26th 2014.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-LL (15-38)
Location:
Grounds of the Musée Mémorial d'Omaha Beach on 23 Avenue de la Libération in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, Normandy, France (Artillery piece accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 49°22'00.77"N, 0°52'56.82"W.

Item Description: Third Reich 5cm KwK 39 canon; originally designed to serve in tanks but often found in Normandy for coastal defense purposes.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-MM (15-39)
Location:
Grounds of the Musée Mémorial d'Omaha Beach on 23 Avenue de la Libération in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer, Normandy, France (Artillery piece accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 49°22'00.77''N, 0°52'56.82''W.
Item
Description:  Third Reich Panzerabwehrkanone (PAK: Anti-tank gun) 43, 88 millimeter caliber.
No less than 2098 of these guns were manufactured. It fired with a semi-automatic horizontal sliding block breech. The mobility of this gun made it a formidable weapon. It could fire off six to ten rounds per minute and had an effective range of almost ten miles.
EXHIBITS:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-NN (15-40)
Location:
Grounds of the Oorlogsmuseum (War Museum) Ossendrecht
(Artillery piece accessible to the public outside opening hours).
Driveway of Putseweg No. 60, 4641SL Ossendrecht (N-Br.) The Netherlands
GPS location: 51°23'08.69''N, 4°22'03.02''E.
Item
Description:  Third Reich Panzerabwehrkanone (PAK: Anti-tank gun) 40.
EXHIBITS: Although this artillery piece is placed behind a chain fence with an "off limits" sign on it, we added it anyway because we were allowed to attach our magnetic stickers on it by the museum's curator Jan M. De Jonge after a very pleasant personal tour of the museum on 25JUL2015.

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-OO (15-41)
Location: 
Grounds of a former textile plant on No. 6 Laan van Hilbelink, 7101WG Winterswijk (Gld.), The Netherlands.
The site is now in use for small businesses and the depot of the local museum whose staff was of great help in getting us access to this artillery piece. After the war, it sat for decades as a telltale sign in the front yard of the local Westerdiep Garage in Winterswijk.
(Gun barrel accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 51°58'08.64''N, 6°43'24.41''E.
Item
Description:  Barrel of a Soviet 152 millimeter Model M1937 ML-20 Howitzer; according to the sign attached to the barrel, it was captured by the Nazis in Stalingrad and subsequently used during the Battle of Arnhem and used for fire missions on the German city of Bocholt on March 30th 1945.
EXHIBITS: We have encountered complete M1937 ML-20 Howitzers on a former Soviet monument in Berlin in 2014 and recognized this barrel from these. Although this artillery piece is only open to the public during opening hours of the businesses on the site (Roy’s Gym and the Hertgers Trucking Co. to be precisely) and it is also a Third Reich “Beutewaffe” (looted armament) we still publish it here because of its historical relevance and the effort we took in driving to remote Winterswijk twice on 27 & 30MAR2016.

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-PP (15-42)
Location: 
Lot in front of old dwelling and watermill housing the Regional Maaskant '44 War Museum on Watermolenstraat 12, 6127AP Grevenbicht (LB), The Netherlands.
(Vehicle accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 51°0’30.06”N, 5°46’07.44”E.
Item
Description:  Lorraine 37 L Schlepper (f) tractor. Originally of French origin, this tractor was used by the Nazis as a "Beutewaffe" (looted armament) after the capitulation of France in June of 1940, when over 300 Lorraine 37 tractors were captured. At first the Nazis used these vehicles in their original role as ammunition and personnel tractors but where later transformed into weapon carriers by installing turrets and artillery pieces such as the 10,5 cm L.F.H. (Leichte FeldHaubitze) or the 15 cm SIG33, (Schweres InfanterieGeschutz) as its main gun. Best known were the versions with a 7,62cm PAK (r) (a "Beutewaffe" captured from the Soviets; hence the letter 'r' for Russian) or 7,5cm PAK 40 (featured in this article in Battle Relics 15-T, 15-AA, 15-JJ and 15-NN), named "Marder I", one of the first successful Third Reich tank destroyers. Due to this particular vehicle’s number (517) it is the owner's theory that his tractor was built in the unoccupied Vichy French area. The Germans allowed Lorraine's 37/44 to be built as tractors for agricultural purposes and ordered them together with armored superstructures which were delivered unassembled. Because these relatively thin-armored fighting vehicles were no match against late war Soviet tanks, most Lorraine 37 based vehicles were redeployed ion the Western front and the owner does not rule out that vehicle 517 saw action in the area of its current location in the Netherlands in September 1944.
EXHIBITS: When we visited the museum on Easter Sunday 2016 we found it closed. The Lorraine 37 L Schlepper (f) numbered 517 however was parked at the roadside. Although partially covered under a plastic tarp to keep the elements out of the vehicle we could get some good pictures of this battle relic. Questions asked the museum staff about actual opening hours remain unanswered to this time of publication, but perhaps we will be given the opportunity to photograph Lorraine 517 fully uncovered in the near future.

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

 
Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-QQ (15-43)
Location: 
Lot in front of building the Bulge Relics Museum on Route d'Ottré 41+, Joubieval, B-Vielsalm (Province of Luxembourg), Belgium.
(Gun barrel accessible to the public outside opening hours).
GPS location: 50°15’34.50”N, 5°50’54.09”E.
Item
Description: Barrel of a Third Reich Panzerabwehrkanone (PAK: Anti-tank gun) 40. A museum staff member explained to us that a local farmer had used the gun barrel to hold up a barn roof. When the barn was refurbished recently, the barrel had been donated to the museum. On the museum's website we read that the muzzle break had been cut in order for the barrel to be used as a support beam. After the barrel was donated the missing piece was welded back on the muzzle break. The barrel shows some damage consistent with artillery shell fragments impacts. It also bears the stamped letters "BRM" on the top of the barrel. Unfortunately we couldn't trace this back to a "Waffenamt" manufacturer's code or other designation.
EXHIBITS: We visited the Bulge Relics Museum on Sunday 07AUG2016 and took these photos of the barrel:

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-RR (15-44)
Location: 
Along national Highway 3537 next to the exit of Expressway 21/ E371 to Svidník near Kapišová, Prešov region, Svidník district, Slovakia.
GPS location: 49°19’37.27”N, 21°35’34.22”E.
Item
Description: Panzerkampfwagen IV tank as part of a monument commemorating the Dukla-Carpathian Offensive in the Fall of 1944. It shows a Soviet T34/85 tank crushing a Third Reich tank in a scene that reminds of ancient paintings depicting wild animals fighting. We visited this monument on 8SEP2016 and found the PzKpfw IV painted in the yellow-green-red camouflage scheme of the Wehrmacht, but we have seen earlier images of the German tank painted in the early war-time dark gray ("Dunkelgrau No. 46" in German).
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-SS (15-45)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Institute of Military History on Bardejovská No. 14 in Svidník, Prešov region, Svidník district, Slovakia.
GPS location: 49°18’31.20”N, 21°34’01.57”E.
Item
Description: 15 cm Schwere Feldhaubitze 18 or sFH 18, nicknamed Immergrün ("Evergreen").
This gun was the World War 2 basic Third Reich heavy howitzer, serving alongside the smaller 10,5 cm leFH 18. It was based on the World War 1 design of the 15 cm sFH 13, and  was outdated compared to the weapons it faced. It was the first artillery weapon equipped with rocket-assisted ammunition to increase range.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-TT (15-46)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Institute of Military History on Bardejovská No. 14 in Svidník, Prešov region, Svidník district, Slovakia.
GPS location: 49°18’31.20”N, 21°34’01.57”E.
Item
Description:  Sonderkraftfahrzeug Sd.Kfz. 251 Hanomag.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

                         

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-UU (15-47)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Museum of Slovak National Uprising on Kapitulská No. 23 in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia.
GPS location: 48°44’07.99”N, 19°08’57.81”E.
Item
Description: Leichte Feldhaubitze LeFH-18/40, 10,5 centimeter canon.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

                    

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-VV (15-48)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Museum of Slovak National Uprising on Kapitulská No. 23 in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia.
GPS location: 48°44’07.99”N, 19°08’57.81”E.
Item
Description: Sturmgeschütz StuG-40, Ausführung G.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

     

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-WW (15-49)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Museum of Slovak National Uprising on Kapitulská No. 23 in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia.
GPS location: 48°44’07.99”N, 19°08’57.81”E.
Item
Description: Panzerkampfwagen IV.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-XX (15-50)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Museum of Slovak National Uprising on Kapitulská No. 23 in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia.
GPS location: 48°44’07.99”N, 19°08’57.81”E.
Item
Description: Sonderkraftfahrzeug Sd.Kfz 250.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

 

           

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-YY (15-51)
Location: 
Permanent open-air display in the public park of the Museum of Slovak National Uprising on Kapitulská No. 23 in Banská Bystrica, Slovakia.
GPS location: 48°44’07.99”N, 19°08’57.81”E.
Item
Description: Sonderkraftfahrzeug Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausführung D.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-ZZ (15-52)
Location: 
Yard of the club house of the "Ecuador" diving team (unlimited public access) on No. 43 Willem Barentszkade in 8881 BD West Terschelling, island of Terschelling, Province of Friesland, the Netherlands.
GPS location: 53°21’43.30”N, 5°13’04.17”E.
Item
Description: 10.5 cm/45 (4.1") SK C/32 deck gun from the Krupp Steel Co. originally mounted on the 1940 Type Kriegsmarine minesweeper ("Minensuchboot" in German) M469.
This minesweeper was built by the Van der Giessen & Zonen shipyard in Krimpen a/d IJssel in the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation. It was launched on 9JUL1942, commissioned on 6JAN 1943 and served in the 469th "Minensuchflottille". On 4JUL1944 minesweeper M469 was sunk after being attacked by British Royal Navy Motor Torpedo Boat MTB458 commanded by Lt. Cdr. Derek Wright at 0250 hours, North West of the Dutch island of Vlieland at position 53° 21" N 04° 57"E. On 8AUG1988 the "Ecuador" diving team from the island of Terschelling salvaged the deck gun from the broken stern of the M469. Today the gun is on display on the lot of the diving team in the harbor of Terschelling. Also two German deck guns of the First World War are on display there.
The 10.5 cm/45 SK C/32 deck gun was designed in 1932, weighs 3,494 lbs. (1,585 kg) and has a rate of fire of 15 rounds per minute.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-AAA (15-53)
Location: 
Lauweplaats public square in Lauwe, a borough of the municipality of Menen, Province of West-Flanders, Belgium.
GPS location: 50°47’42.20”N, 3°11’05.70”E.
Item
Description: This canon became the pride of the Belgian village of Lauwe when it was captured during the battle for a bridge across the river Leie and participated in the liberation of Lauwe on 6SEP1944.The Allies presented the canon to the citizens of Lauwe in gratitude for their resistance in securing the bridge during the German retreat.
The canon of Lauwe is a mixture of a French World War One (made in 1915) Model 1897 75 millimeter canon, built by the Schneider arms factory and the German 7.5 centimeter Panzerabwehrkanone 38 with the Third Reich "Beutewaffe" nomenclature Pak97/38.
From lack of sufficient canons of their own manufacture for deployment at the Russian front, the Third Reich transformed captured canons during World War Two.
The canon is therefore a mixture of French and German parts: the gun itself is French but the rest such as the mount, shield, wheels, muzzle flash hider, etcetera, are German.
After World War Two the gun has been moved between the communities of Lauwe and Rekkem to finally find its current place on Lauweplaats in 2010.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-BBB (15-54)
Location: 
Lot in front of the Bastogne Ardennes '44 Museum on No. 637 Bras (Highway N84 leading from Bastogne into the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg) in 6600 Bastogne, Province of Luxembourg, Belgium.
GPS location: 49°56’47.41”N, 5°52’50.56”E.
Item
Description: German "Hetzer" self-propelled gun. The museum owner explained to this agency that this is a war-time piece. The gun would be a PAK 40 gun; with the muzzle break missing.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-CCC (15-55)
Location: 
Lawn in between the "Schumanns Eck" off-ramp of national highway 15 ('Bastnichnerstroos') leading North-East to local highway 218 ('Rue Grande-Duchesse Charlotte') near the Luxembourg National Liberation Monument, town of Nothum, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
GPS location: 49°56’42.20”N, 3°11’05.70”E.
Item
Description:  PAK 40 anti tank gun. No muzzle break. Barrel shows signs of damage where  the muzzle break had apparently been removed by force.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-DDD (15-56)
Location: 
Patio of the Military Historical Museum on No. 6 Carrer General Gil Dolz, 46010 Valencia, Spain
GPS location: 39°28’18.63”N, 0°21’43.40”W.
Item
Description:  Third Reich 88-56 dual purpose (anti aircraft/anti tank) canon purchased from the Germans by General Franco's Nationalist Army. This artillery piece can be visited daily in the patio of the museum. The entrance to the museum is free of charge.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-EEE (15-57)
Location: 
Hall 1 (Heavy material) of the Military Historical Museum on No. 6 Carrer General Gil Dolz, 46010 Valencia, Spain
GPS location: 39°28’18,66”N, 0°21’43,93”E.
Item
Description:  PAK 40 anti tank gun. During World War Two a German ship carrying equipment destined for the Afrika Korps harbored in Valencia to escape destruction by an Allied ship. The story has it that this PAK gun was brought ashore and kept by the Spanish.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-FFF (15-58)
Location: 
Place du 6 Juin 1944, Arromanches-les-Bains, Normandy, France
GPS location: 49°20’24,45”N, 0°37’18,77”E.
Item
Description:   88 millimeter dual purpose anti tank/aircraft gun. This canon is located in the parking lot of the Musée du Débarquement in Arromanches-les-Bains which overlooks the Mulberry artificial harbor out on the sea. This canon shows damage from a direct hit at the gun's breech in closed position (from a sharp object on high velocity incoming from the left) caused it to be bend out of shape to its right.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-GGG (15-59)
Location: 
6 Avenue du 6 Juin, 14150 Ouistreham, Normandy, France
GPS location: 49°17’14.40”N, 0°15’08.14”E.
Item
Description:  88 millimeter dual purpose anti tank/aircraft gun. This gun is located in the yard of the Grand Bunker Museum in Ouistreham which is accessible to the public 24/7.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-HHH (15-60)
Location: 
Route de Grandcamp, 14710 Vierville sur Mer, Normandy, France
GPS location: 49°22’30.27”N, 0°54’29.62”E.
Item
Description:   88 millimeter dual purpose anti tank/aircraft gun. This gun is located in the yard of the D-Day Omaha Museum in Vierville which is accessible to the public 24/7.
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-III (15-61)
Location: 
Route de Grandcamp, 14710 Vierville sur Mer, Normandy, France
GPS location: 49°20’30.36”N, 0°54’30.36”E.
Item
Description:  5cm KwK 39 canon on display in the yard of the D-Day Omaha Museum in Vierville, Normandy. 
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

Battle Relic Sub File No.: 15-JJJ (15-62)
Location: 
Route de Grandcamp, 14710 Vierville sur Mer, Normandy, France
GPS location: 49°22’30.56”N, 0°54’29.32”E.
Item
Description: Canon and armor plate of a Third Reich "Panther" tank; officially known as Panzerkampfwagen V or Zd.Kfz. 171. The gun is a 7,5 cm kwK 42 and on display in the yard of the D-Day Omaha Museum in Vierville, Normandy. 
EXHIBITS: :

(click to enlarge)

        

 
 
 
 
 
 

Back to Battlerelics

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(c) 2007-Present Day Battledetective.com. Email: tom@battledetective.com. all rights reserved.